I can report I completed my first bit of selfless sewing in a while, the shirts for Child 2 that I announced in my last post. Child 2 acknowledged them with a nod and an “Alright”, but he’s worn them almost continually ever since days in a row, so I suppose he must be pleased.
Given that this was my first attempt at shirt sewing and that pattern matching isn’t exactly my forte I think this has gone rather well.
My collar stands aren’t quite perfect yet, even on this shirt, which I made last of the three. Somehow the bit where you topstich the collarstand on the outside in order to secure the inside is still a bit beyond me. Maybe I need to baste down the inside first in order to get a nice even finish and only then topstitch on the outside?
Anyway, clearly my button sewing skills leave much to be desired. Or maybe it is that you can tell that this is the last button on the third shirt that I sewed and I had.really.lost.patience.
The back has a simple yoke and no pleat in the main body of the shirt. I was surprised to see how slim fitting the shirt is, given that Burda describe them as a “relaxed” fit. Child 2 is quite long and slim for his age (I made the largest size, 158), but he still found the sleeves slightly restrictive. You can see how the bottom part of the back arm scythe strains a little.
So next time I make this shirt (possibly for Child 3, as I have no larger size to go to for this pattern) I will add a little pleat in the centre back to give a little more room.
This is Shirt 1:
Child 2 says he feels as elegant in it as if he were going to a dance. I’m taking that as a compliment!
Can you see the little tab on the button placket? I only went and cut a hole in the button placket when cutting off some stray threads as basically the last thing in making this shirt. The only way I could think to save this was to add the tab an pretend it was a feature. Child 2 hasn’t questioned this, and I doubt he either reads my blog or understands enough English to know what’s going on, so I think I got away with it…
All the fabrics came from my stash (although some were bought a while ago in order to make some sort of boy’s clothing, so I’m not sure that counts as stash 😉 ) so that feels like a bit of an accomplishment. Moreover I feel I know what to do as far as basic shirt sewing is concerned and I know what to to better next time, though not necessarily how to do it better. I have two delicious fabrics set up for some shirts of my own, so hopefully I can post some selfish shirt sewing success – or 5S, as we say at Said&Done Industries!