Thank you so much to everybody who commented such nice things on my purple maxi dress! Isn’t it strange how we are so happy to overlook the faults in the work of others while often we are so critical of our own makes…
I’m slowly catching up with a bit of a blogging backlog. This new project has been in my wardrobe since March…
Is is Burdastlye 3/2016 #121. Burda have this as a wedding dress in their usual March=wedding edition, but also as a “normal” dress, and I was immediately taken with it. I love me a sheath dress, and I love tummy rouching as means of covering up some self-consciousness inducing tummy flab, so making this dress was a no brainer.
The fabric was an experiment: I got my hand on some neoprene style jersey (by accident, I misread the description of the online seller), and for the longest time I didn’t know what to make of it as it seemed rather sweaty to me. So I opted for a sleeveless dress for spring/autumn, thinking that the cooler temperatures paired with the lack of sleeves would allow for enough comfort. It kinda worked, although I have to say i was already borderline too warm in it in April.
I decided to put on the jersey wing (wing-less option below). I very rarely wear anything flouncy, but I fancied it on this dress
So there, this is how the flounce works.
The dress is superbly easy to put together (at least in a knit). And look at the bust dart on the non-flouncy side: It’s length and locations couldn’t be more perfect if I tried (and probably a lot less perfect if I had tried! Darts and me is not a marriage made in heaven…). Straight from the tracing sheet with no alterations! Thank you, Burda!
I was going for a “sporty” look the the topstitching of the neckline and armholes. In hindsight an invisible finish might have been better, but I’m not ripping out the three step zig zag now!
Like with most of my sewing, there is one blogger who does what I do, only better. In this case it’s Allison C, who sewed this dress a while ago, and whose slighly lighter material looks even better. I like the dress a lot with the cap sleeve too, might just add this on next time.
However, there already was a next time with this dress.
This knit has all the colour I love perfectly assembled in one piece of fabric!
This time I ommitted the back vent. It isn’t necessary in a knit and on the first dress I found it is hard to keep straight in a knit too. The pattern placement could have been better, but I only had 1.2 metres of fabric, so I was working with what I had.
This version as a normal binding for the neckline. The original is meant to be lined, but that’s because it is made up in a woven.
I’m really happy with these dresses. I feel the silhouette is very “me” – it’s my traditional fall-back shape if I don’t want to give shape any thought.
Strangely I have been in the mood for a little variety and experimentation though and I am considering other dress shapes. Who knows, I might just make something with a pleated skirt next…