Monthly Archives: October 2015

Burdastyle 6/2015 121# : British Racing Green Dress – Second Time Lucky

Well, most people might call this colour Forest Green – but I call it British Racing Green which (in my world view) makes it sound a lot more stylish!



I used Burdastyle 6/2015 #121 – a pattern that I knew I wanted to make up from the moment I saw it on the preview.

It is gathered both in front and back and only the gathers make the strangely shaped pattern pieces assume the form of a dress.

IMG_2487Somehow this dress feels very me. It’s unfussy and fitted, but the gathers in front detract a little bit from the tummy roll that so annoys me in fitted dressses.

IMG_2482Obviously it’s not exactly shapewear, but it’s good enough for me to wear the dress without feeling too self-conscious.


Burda necklines are know for their wanton plunginess, but for once, this time I didn’t think it is too bad. However, when I first made the dress, this happened:

IMG_2402The neckline is finished with a facing that is so narrow that it keeps popping out. Not acceptable, I’m sure you’ll agree. So I unpicked the whole facing, sending a lot of unkind thoughts towards the gods of Burda pattern making (in fact some inappropriate words might have been heard…) and made a new, wider facing:

IMG_2508The blue piece on the left is the new facing, the red one on the right the original pattern piece (without seam allowance.

IMG_2507Here you can see how much wider the new facing is. This worked a treat, the new facing looks  a lot more comfortable:

IMG_2509It’s wide enough now not to flip out and doesn’t need any fiddling and adjusting.


So overall I’m really pleased with the dress and have worn it several times since these pictures were taken about six weeks ago. So much so that I already made a second version, this time in a crazy panel print!


Selfless Sewing: Boy’s Shirt – As it happend

Unbeknown to each other, Tereasa from Navybluethreads and myself have found ourselves in the same place in life again: frantically making shirts for our sons, who have discovered that mum has neglegted them sewingwise for far too long. Teresa is going down the print road with her son’s shirt while over here Child 2 asked for a white shirt. Really he wants a suit, shirt and tie, but I just found that a bit too neo-con for a twelve-year old (remember there are no school uniforms here, so normally, a boy only gets his first suit for dancing lessons, if that), so I made him a navy pseudo-suit type jacket from sweat shirt fabric (unblogged) and now a white shirt.

I spent a couple of hours tonight and so far things are looking rather well:


I cut corners by not interfacing the button band and that shows through a bit, but I suppose once the band is closed it’s gonna be fine – I hope at least…

20151019_224048I used a Burda boys pattern in a size 156, but Child 2 has grown since I first made the patterns and is now more like a size 164, outside the Burda kids size range, but not inside the men’s range. So I just lengthened the pattern and put in a little pleat at the back to get some extra room.

The sleeve placket turned out really well:

20151019_224418I made them in about 20 minutes at the end of a long day spent sniffling with a head cold and not really on top of things – I sometimes think this is the best way of not overthinking scary sewing stuff. These are the best plackets I ever made, that’s for sure.
Clearly, my iron has issues and spouted water everywhere – I think we might have to part ways soon.
Originally I wanted to make a tower placket, but even after watching a couple of tutorials I couldn’t get my head around them, so they are left for another day with more brain power.

So I think a couple of hours well spent and a long way towards Child 2 actually getting something with long sleeves on him. He said we could also go and buy some shirts, but of course they wouldn’t be as good quality as if mom made them. Well, what can i say?! He knows how to play me…


In other sewing news I went to the fabric market on Saturday:

20151017_155255All of those fabrics have already been turned into pajamas for Child 3 – I seem to be on a selfless sewing run.


Burdastyle 11/2011 # 111: Glittery Parka


I might look a little doubtful in this picture, but I actually really like my new(ish –  it was made in July) parka!

It’s based on Burdastyle 11/2011 #111, the same pattern that I made my duffle coat from. No hand-quilted lining crazyness this time, the parka (apart from the hood) is unlined, so I french-seamed all the inside seams.


I made the hood quite a bit smaller than in the pattern, but as you can see it’s still quite big. I also made the back hem dip down a little bit. The whole parka has a tunnle around the bottom hem that holds a cord.

IMG_2424I put in a zipper and  poppers to overlap the zipper. I like the variety of closing optings this gives plus I like the look of it.

IMG_2436The hood is fully put-upable and will keep off a little rain, something that came in pretty useful when I first wore the parka on a recent London trip.

I put two generous patch pockets on, however, the chest pocket flaps are just for decoration, there are no pockets underneath them. I figured that I wouldn’t put any contents in there anyway, so decided to leave off the pockets.

All the hardware is really really shiny gold which goes well with slightly glittery material (I’m talking Twilight vampire shiny here) and with my recent theme of bling. So all in all I’m really happy with parka, my first one for many, many years.

Now both Child 2 and 3 want one of their own, so I better hurry up!