First of all I would like to thank all of you who gave such lovely comments on my Dress That Almost Was Not to Be! It’s been so nice to hear you like the dress – the online sewing community is, indeed, the best!
Having finished the dress with all the fiddling that entailed, I thought making jeans was a remarkably simple and relaxing project. Strange but true…
So here are my first bootcut jeans in a long time. I have got used to the slimmer silhouette so much that I wasn’t sure whether to try the bootcut style at all, but as these jeans are meant to be a wearable muslin I thought I might as well try.
The jeans turned out a little bit tight across the hips and thighs, although I made them in the right size for my measurements. I suppose different fabrics have different rates of stretch and this denim isn’t all that stretchy. I hope they will relax a little, otherwise I will go up one size when I make these next.
Now with some trepidation for the booty shot. If you have been following this blog for any length of time you will know that the state of my VPL is under close surveillance. I think I’m not doing to badly this time (although, Mia, look away now, I’m not wearing my thong is these pictures):
I added 2,5cm to the hight of the CB and in principle it was a good idea to give a little more booty room. This way the jeans stay up much better, because the back rise covers the – well – backside all the way. What this has done though is destroy the proportions of the back yoke. It is attached almost horizontally now rather than by making a V-shape as it should be. Next time I will hopefully remember to divide the extra hight between the yoke pattern piece and the back crotch.
So altogether I like what I see. Clearly, there is room for improvement, but I think for a first muslin these turned out well. The Jalie pattern works really well for me, however, I did not look at the instructions as I supposed these would be made up like the other jeans I made.
So thank you Lizzy for inspiring me to try a new jeans pattern! Originally I thought I would make these up only to honour Lizzy’s challenge. However, it is pouring with rain at the moment and has got really cold, so the jeans will make their first proper outing tomorrow.
I’m even thinking I might try another new pattern. I have seen a few versions of the Named Jamie which I really like (although Lizzy points out that she isn’t feeling the love) and I found a Burda pattern that seems similar enough:
This is Burdastyle 8/2012 #129. It is meant to be a trouser, not a jeans, pattern, but the treatment of the front leg is quite similar to the Jamie. I have a lot of denim left, so if I get the time I might give these a try.