I started working on this pattern when it first came out last year – and it ended up in pure disaster due to a combination of poor choice of fabric, lack of skill and too much said&done-bravado.
So after sitting on the blazer naughty step for the best part of a year I tried again and made it through to the finish line this time:
I would only really wear a blazer to work (it’s not warm enough to be worn as a jacket unless it’s really warm, and then I kinda get … too warm to wear a jacket…), and because I like to avoid chalk stains at the bottoms of my sleeves when I work on the board in the classroom I often turn my sleeves up. So I thought it might be a fun idea to add contrast lining for the turn ups. I regret that choice a little bit now as I prefer the lining for the body, but it’s in and done now. I have however now changed the button to a simple blue button.
I used a wool mix twill which sewed up beautifully but it creases like a terrible thing. My rubbishness at pressing is well documented in so many photos on this blog, so having a creasy fabric is not a good thing for me…
Overall I am quite pleased with my first real blazer. I have worn it a few times now and I like it enough to think about making a summer version of the pattern. In fact I had the fabric waiting to be cut when April’s Burda threw this in the ring: