Recently I came across a sewing magazine that is new to the German market: La Mia Boutique in a German version. It does not seem to be the same as the Italian edition – at least my news agent’s had a different version in Italian. I was a little wary about trying their patterns as my measurements make me fall in three different sizes on their size table (while with Burdastyle I may need to grade between two sizes for a tight fitting dress, otherwise I can stay within one size with no or minor alterations).
But because I had the magazine and I wanted to give the peplum trend a try before it goes completely I made up this little number:
Although my version looks quite different:
I made up their size 44 at the bust, grading out to a 46 at the hips, which corresponds to the German sizes 40 and 42. I normally wear a 40, but the measurement chart put me into this size, so this is what I made. Turns out I would not have needed to grade out at all, the top is plenty big enough as it is in a size 44/40.
I obviously put some sleeves on the top, they come from a dress in the same edition which has practically the same arm scythe as the top, so there was no problem there. I also lengthened the peplum by about 4 cm, and looking at the pictures I think it could have done with even more length.
I think the top is quite sweet and I am definitely going to wear it, just because I love the sailor look anyway. But I think I have got the peplum look out of my system now – I think it really looks better with something really formal and quite structured – and that’s something I am rarely going to wear.