Having teased you with pictures of my version of this dress #101 from the September 2013 issue of Burdastyle
on the dressform I thought it is only fair to show you a few pictures of how the dress performs in real life.
Sorry, I have just noticed this photo shows more of my garden than of the dress… I hope you can forgive me, I will pay better attention next time. If only I felt more comfortable with the photo-shoot aspect of blogging I could pose next to a chimney staring into the heavens like the Burda model as well 😉
If those pictures do one thing, they do away with any doubt as to the cami-issue. Can you see the neckline Burda put onto this dress??!!! Who would want to wear this as is without a cami underneath? You would be practically naked – and if that is the intended look I doubt anyone would go for this style of dress 😉
With a cami I really like the neckline – you twist the front parts of the top and knot them in the back:
While I like my version I don’t think I would make it again in a print. I think it would look better in a solid because all the twisting and knotting does get a little bit busy.
Also my biggest suggestion to anybody considering this dress is to use a fabric with two nice sides. Just look at this:
Yep, due to the nature of the twist at the waist sometimes the underside shows a little bit (and is testament to my ongoing disaffection of my sewing machine with my twin needle…). The tie at the waist also does this sometimes:
As per the instructions both parts are not sewn together for the first bit, which makes sense because a single layers of fabric drapes more easily than a double layer. But I have noticed that when I move the underside may show sometimes. This is not a big problem and I can rearrange it without any problem, but if I had used a solid fabric I wouldn’t really have to worry at all.
May I draw your attention to the sleeves again:
I just love them! I almost fell over when I wore the dress for the first time because I was looking at my shoulders more than at where I was going. 🙂
So altogether I am happy with the dress, although I can clearly see its limitations. I might make the top version of this in a solid jersey that has graced my stash for rather too long. And I also wonder if this could look stylish if made as a cardi from a chunky knit and knotted rather loosely for a draped rather than tight look. Hmmm… lots of options – just the way I like it.