This is the summer version of the colour block dress I made a few weeks ago. This time I decided not to line the dress as I did not want to add any heat inducing layers. Nevertheless, I think the ponte jersey is heavy enough to hold its own without a lining.
I did some top stitching to emphasise the darts and I decided not to open the darts around the neckline as per specified in the pattern. Originally, I had only basted the darts close for construction, but I really like the cleaner look the full darts give.
I finished the arm and neckline seams with bias tape made from the fashion fabric and hand-sewed the seams. Inspite of my best efforts the seams still show a little, so that is one aspect I don’t like about the dress – but my hand sewing is terrible anyway, so considering this I actually did rather well 😉 .
I promise one day I will manage to get a back shot standing up straight so there aren’t creases and ripples everywhere. When I do stand up straight the back actually fits very well. What is really strange is that I had to take the center back seam in buy about 3 cm more than on the colour block dress, although I used the same type of fabric from the same seller for both dresses. And I even got away without a zip this time.
So altogether and inspite of its limitatons this is a sewing project that makes me very happy: